Coaching decisions at the NHL level are increasingly driven by analytics. However, this ever-expanding field can appear daunting to newcomers.
In a recent poll, 62% of coaches surveyed responded that:
- They do not currently use analytics to inform their coaching decisions
- They would like to use analytics to improve their work, but don't know how to get started
This course, delivered by two experienced professionals, will show you how.
- A competitive youth-level coach looking to get started with analytics
- A junior or collegiate coach looking to bolster your skillset for a future pro-level opportunity
- An experienced pro coach or analyst looking for professional development
...this course will offer you tremendous value!
Course Outline (.mp4 video format)
- How analytics helps teams win, a short story (9 min.)
- What analytics isn't (13 min.)
- Past, present & future of analytics in hockey (16 min.)
- Finding the Minimum Effective Dose for your team (15 min.)
- Introduction to manual data tracking (11 min.)
- Using analytics in scouting (13 min.)
- NHL case studies: the influence of tactics (11 min.)
- How to hire a good analyst (19 min.)
- Final thoughts (12 min.)
- Take action: Book your 30-minute, one-on-one call with Jack (1 min.)
Total time: 120 minutes
Jack Han has worked as a statistical analyst, video coordinator and development coach since 2014. Organizations he has contributed to include the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL), Toronto Marlies (AHL), Connecticut Whale (PHF) and the McGill Martlets (USports WHKY). EliteProspects profile
Mikael Nahabedian started as an assistant analyst with the McGill Martlets in 2018 and has quickly become a leading expert in the hockey analytics industry. He was a scout and player development coach for AIK (SDHL) and currently serves as the lead analyst for the Saint-Laurent Patriotes (QCHL). EliteProspects profile
Two hours of instruction, split into nine video chapters